Skip to main content

Services and Procedures

See a Counselor


  • Fill out a "Counselor Request Form" in the Counseling Office (during passing period, lunch or with a note from your teacher).
  • Your Counselor will call you out of class. During busy weeks, this could take a few days.
  • If you have an emergency, please notify the Counseling Secretary, Mrs. Carla Beard (ext. 20205) or the main Receptionist (505-843-6400).
  • The counseling office is open Monday-Friday from 7 am to 3 pm.


Please contact your student's counselor directly by email or phone.

Counselors may be participating in professional learning community meetings, district level meetings, and classroom presentations which require the counselors to be out of the office. 

Contact a Teacher

If you have questions or need to discuss other issues with a teacher, please contact that teacher through email or via phone. For Teacher contact information, please visit the Contact Us

You may also call the Receptionist at (505) 843-6400.

Schedule Change after Pre-registration

Students select classes through pre-registration in the spring. If a student/parent would like to request a change after pre-registration, this should be done in May or during the summer prior to July 1st. Changes requested in the summer should be made through the curriculum principal and will be permitted on a space available basis.

  • Once classes begin in the fall, the school does not allow schedule changes unless the student was assigned to the wrong academic class. These changes should be requested through their Counselor. Any changes must be made within the first ten days of the semester.
  • A class dropped after the first 10 days of the semester results in an automatic "W/F" (withdrawal with a grade of "F") for the course.
  • Some schedule changes are generated due to over or under projection of student enrollment by the district (leveling).
  • Requests for level changes (AP/Honors class to regular or regular to AP/Honors) must be completed by the end of the first grading period. 
  • If a student's schedule is changed, the grades earned in the original class will be averaged into the grades earned in the new class.
  • The Master Schedule is based on student requests. It may not be possible to accommodate schedule changes out of AP or Honors classes in the fall. Students should plan carefully.

Report Cards Questions

High School Grading Periods
End of 1st 6 Weeks September 20, 2019
End of 2nd 6 Weeks November 1, 2019
End of 3rd 6 Weeks, End of 1st Semester December 20, 2019
End of 4th 6 Weeks February 14, 2020
End of 5th 6 Weeks March 27, 2020

End of 6th 6 Weeks, End of 2nd Semester

May 22, 2020


Teachers have 3 days to enter grades after the grading period has ended. Report cards are printed and mailed from APS district offices. Most families receive report cards approximately 2 weeks after the grading period ends. If you do not receive your student's report card, please call the grade level secretary at 843-6400.

  • Our Registrar recalculates class rankings in mid-January and early June.
  • Only final semester grades show on transcripts; 6-week grades are not on the official transcript.
  • Report cards and transcripts cannot be released for students with outstanding fines

Request a Letter of Recommendation

Students needing recommendation letters from their counselor or teachers need to follow the timetable below:

Application & Request Deadlines
Application Deadline Deadline to Request from Counselor
October 1 September 15
November 1 October 10
November 15 October 25
December 1 November 1
December 15 November 15
January 1 November 28
January 15 December 1 (*Due to winter break)
February 1 January 10
February 15 January 15


This schedule allows for vacations/breaks as the counselors and teachers do not work over school breaks. (For example, if your application deadline is Jan. 1st, you need to have your request for a recommendation to the counselor at the end of November due to the two weeks of winter break which are not considered work time).           

If you are late turning in your recommendation request, your counselor will not have as much time to devote to your letter, resulting in possibly a less comprehensive letter or in cases of extreme lateness on the student’s part, missing the application deadline altogether.           

Students also must complete the student portion of the forms given to counselors as well as providing a complete resume. This includes identifying information about the student and signatures where required. Students must also supply counselors with addressed envelopes with sufficient postage. (Envelopes that will have more than 4 pages require two stamps).


Work Permits

Issued by Ms. Clarissa Sandoval, the AHS College and Career Counselor. During the summer, visit the Dept. of Labor.

Homework Requests

If your student is going to be or has been out for 3 or more days please call ext. 20205 and speak to the counseling secretary to request homework. Please allow 24-48 hours for the work to be gathered by teachers. Homework can be picked up in the counseling office @ 2:00 pm on the 2nd day after the request is made.

Transcript Requests 

For graduates from 2002 to current, or for requests for college admission please go to  Graduates prior to 2002 go to and use "District Imaging and Archive Center" as the location to request from.  Requests for scholarship applications, or anything other than college admissions must be made in person with the registrar in the main office.  Please allow 24-48 hours for orders to be filled.

ID's/Lockers/Parking Passes

Please see Mrs. Dunn in the Activities Office.